Welcome!

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new."
-Anton Ego, Ratatouille

With aspirations to become an arts/entertainment reporter or critic, I have started this website to post weekly reviews of the latest cinematic offerings from Hollywood and around the world. Currently studying Film and Journalism at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, I hope my reviews here are the start to a long and fulfilling road down the path of reporting.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A New Addition to The Screening Room

Dear My Faithful Followers,

I have decided to take on a new endeavour on my blog, The Screening Room.

Every month or so, I will post a list in the form of a Top 10 or Top 20. The lists will focus on an aspect of film and entertainment, and my choices will be decided by a “Ten Best” or “Ten Worst” type of criteria.

My first “Top 10” list (or “Top 20,” I’ve yet to decide) was inspired by a moment in my film theory and analysis class yesterday. My professor, the shrewd and intelligent Andre Loiselle, mentioned that he wasn’t nuts about Inception. Following that statement, there was an audibly stunned response from my fellow peers.

Being a film critic is not a difficult thing. If you can analyze and view films keenly, with more than mere passive amusement, it doesn’t take much to recite a thoughtful, well-constructed opinion. The problem, however, comes when you mention that you love something that the vast majority hate, or hate something that is virtually admired by all - especially the latter.

If few agree with what you say, it becomes a challenge to argue the validity of your argument without offending the predominant view. And if few agree with you on a consistent basis, are you even a reliable source of criticism?

For my first list, I will be counting down The Top Films That Everybody Loves… But Me. I plan on putting the record straight on movies that I feel are wildly overpraised and appreciated far beyond the level that they deserve. The list should be up by the end of the year.

Expect me to return next week with a new review, a new analysis, and perhaps more. Until then, take care, and please vote in the new poll.

Note: If you have any ideas for this segment, I'll lend you my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment